Chimole is a very popular food that is served in Belize. Chimole is also known as Black Dinner for its dark color after adding in all the spices and some black recado spice block.
This traditional food in Belize is predominantly Mestizo in origin but with Belize's cultural diversity has found its way to the tables of many Belizean homes.
1/2 Block of Black Recado
1 Chicken (cut into parts)
6 Apazote leaves
2 Tomatoes (diced)
2 tablesppons Tomato Paste
1/2 Onion (sliced)
3 cloves Garlic (Mashed)
Salt and Pepper
6 boiled eggs
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown in a hot pot with little oil.
- Once browned add enough water to cover the chicken and then add onions and garlic.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Dissolve recado and add to the chicken.
- Add the diced tomatoes and apazote leaves. Add more water if necessary.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Served hot with boiled eggs and corn tortillas
Try this recipe and see if you love it as much as we do and then let us know.